This is how you earn points:
- You have to eat FIVE small meals a day (keeps the metabolism going!) These have to be eaten between 2 and 4 hours apart. If you go longer than 4 hours without eating, you lose points! Each meal will consist of one lean protein, one healthy carb, one healthy fat and as many green veggies as you want. You MUST have at least two portions of veggies a day. The key to eating five meals a day is PORTION CONTROL.
- Exercise at least 20 minutes a day
- Sleep at least 7 hours a night
- Drink at least 3 liters of water a day
- Work on a new habit (Stick with these same habits for the length of the game - four weeks)
- Get rid of an old habit
- Communication with your team members and opposing team(s) each day. Email, & txt messages count. Communicate via phone or face to face with both opponent and team mate at least 1x/week.
- Getting on the scale more than once a... day.
- Snacking in between your 6 meals
- Collusion (telling a player "I'll eat a candy bar if you'll eat a candy bar")
- drinking alcohol & soda
- changing your habit during the game.
* Each meal should include a combination of: lean protein, healthy fats, carbohydrates like whole grains and fruit, and/or vegetables.
* Eat "whole" foods = whole grains, fruits, vegetables - as much as possible.
* Meals must be no fewer than two and no more than four hours apart.
* Meals must contain none of the F.L.A.B.B. foods. Each fully sanctioned meal is worth 6 points for a total of 30 possible meal points a day.
Portion Size: Make a fist. That's about the size of carbs you should eat at each meal. Now lay your hand flat and look at just your palm (without your fingers and thumb). That's about how much protein you should eat at each meal. Now look at the size of your thumb. That's how much healthy fat you'll add to each meal. (If you're eating oils, you'll eat only the amount of your thumb from the knuckle up. Keep in mind that butter and margarine are not healthy fats. I'll post some choices later.
These portions may seem really small in the beginning, but keep in mind, you get them five times a day AND YOU CAN EAT AS MANY GREEN VEGETABLES WITH EACH MEAL AS YOU WANT.
The Exception: Each day, in addition to your five meals, you may consume up to 100 calories of whatever you want (including the F.L.A.B.B. foods on the list, but not including alcohol, soda, or diet soda).
Between meals, you may snack on cucumbers and celery without penalty.
Penalty: If you eat anything between meals besides cucumbers and celery, you musts deduct a 10-point snacking penalty. You must include veggies in at least two of your meals or you will not receive your meal points for those meals.
Days Off, Meals Off, and 100 Calories of whatever you choose:
You get one day off of every aspect of the game. Note that your food day off does not have to be the same day as your exercise day off, which can be different from your sleep day off. You can spread them out throughout the week if you choose.
It is recommended that you choose your weigh-in day to be the morning of your day off - or at least a day or two before. This day off is very important as it tricks your metabolism. Just don't go crazy or you won't see progress on the scale. Just eat like a non-dieter would on that day... not a binge eater.
In addition to your food day off, you get one meal off a week. At this meal, which can last no more than 1.5 hours, you can eat whatever you want and drink one portion of alcohol without penalty.
Every day, you can eat or drink 100 calories of whatever you want - except alcohol, soda, or diet soda - without penalty
What I’m NOT going to be eating:
F.L.A.B.B. (Fat-Loading and Belly-Bloating) Foods
- All fried foods (NOOOOO!!! I love all fried foods...guess I'll have to put away the deep frier)
- High-fat/processed meats (No problem, except my mother-in-law just bought us a crapload of steaks that are in our freezer...)
- Anything made with refined sugar (which includes sugar, corn syrup, High-fructose corn syrup, and sucrose) My #1 weakness.
- Anything made with white flour
- Whole-fat cheese
- Dried fruit/fruit juice**
F.Y.T. (Flatten Your Tummy) Foods
- CARBOHYDRATES (eat a fist-sized portion from the carbs OR fruits list with every meal): Amaranth, Barley, Beans: adzuki, black, black-eyed, broad, butter, fava, garbanzo (chick peas), kidney, lentils, lima, mung, navy, pinto, soy, white; Bran (whole grain), Bread (whole grain), Buckwheat (whole grain), Bulgar (whole grain), Corn, Crackers (whole grain), Leek, Milk, Milk(soy), Millet (whole grain), Oatmeal (whole grain), Palm hearts, Parsnips, Pasta (whole grain), Peas, Potato (baked), Potato (sweet), Pumpkin, Quinoa (whole grain), Rice (brown), Rice (wild), Rye (whole grain), Taro, Tortilla (whole grain), Yams, Yoghurt (fat-free).
- PROTEINS (eat a palm sized portion with every meal): DAIRY (Low fat or fat free): Cheese: American, cheddar, cottage, cream cheese, feta, mozzarella, quark, ricotta, swiss; Egg whites, Greek Yogurt FISH Anchovie, Catfish, Cod, Flounder, Hake, Halibut, Mackerel, Mahi mahi, Perch, Salmon, Sardine, Snapper, Sole, Swordfish, Tilapia, Trout, Tuna MEAT (Lean only) Beef (ground), Buffalo, Chicken Breast, Duck, Kangaroo, Lamb, Pork Tenderloin, Steak (eye of round), Steak (flank), Steak (top round), Steak (top sirloin), Turkey Bacon, Turkey Breast, Turkey (ground), Venison, Wild Game Meat SEAFOOD Crab, Lobster, Mussels, Octopus, Oysters, Scallops, Shrimp, Squid VEGETARIAN (Low Fat) Seitan, Soy Foods, Tempeh, Tofu, Veggie Burgers.
- FATS (eat a thumb-sized portion with every meal): Avocado, Egg Yolk (one), Olives, Nut Butters: Almond, Cashew, Peanut, Sesame, Sunflower; Nuts (dried/raw): Acorns, Almonds, Beechnuts, Brazil nuts, Butternuts, Cashews, Hazelnuts, Hickory nuts, Macadamias, Peanuts, Pecans, Pine Nuts, Pistachio Nuts, Walnuts; Seeds (Dried): Flax, Pumpkin/Squash, Safflower, Sunflower; Oils: Fish Oils, Flaxseed Oil, Nut Oils, Oil Spray (Pam), Olive Oil, Vegetable Oils.
- VEGETABLES (Add at least two fist-sized portions to at least two meals each day. You may eat unlimited greens (asterisked) with all of your meals): Alfalfa*, Artichoke, Asparagus*, Bamboo Shoot, Beans (Green)*, Beetroot, Broccoli*, Brussels Sprouts*, Cabbage*, Carrot, Cauliflower, Celery*, Chard (Swiss)*, Chinese Cabbage, Collards*, Cress, Cucumber*, Eggplant, Endive*, Fennel*, Gourd, Kale*, Lettuce*, Mushroom, Okra*, Onion, Peas (snow), Peppers, Pumpkin, Radish, Seaweed (Kelp)*, Spinach*, Squash (summer), Squash (winter), Tomatillo, Turnip, Watercress*, Zucchini*.
- FRUITS (Eat a fist sized portion from the Carbs OR Fruits list with every meal.): Apple, Apricot, Banana, Blackberry, Blueberry, Boysenberry, Cherimoya, Cherry, Clementine, Cranberry, Currant, Date, Durian, Fig, Gooseberry, Grape, Grapefruit, Guava, Huckleberry, Jack Fruit, Kiwi Fruit, Kumquat, Lemon, Lime, Loquat, Lychee, Mandarin, Mango, Melon, Mulberry, Nectarine, Orange, Papaya, Passion Fruit, Peach, Pear, Persimmon, Pineapple, Plantain, Plum, Pomegranate, Quince, Rambutan, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Star fruit, Strawberry, Tamarillo, Tangerine, Tomato, Watermelon.
- SWEETENERS (Use sweeteners VERY sparingly!): Agave Nectar, Honey, Pure Maple Syrup.
Alrighty, if you got through that whole thing...good for you! I'm a little nervous, but very excited about starting on Monday (as I shove a batch of perfect brownies down my gullet). Should be a fun time, and I will really enjoy spending everyone's money at the end (because, you know, I'll be the winner).